JCDBB Weapons (See EBC, JDC, JDD, JHCAA and KGD) JCDBB
A student shall not knowingly possess, handle, or transmit any object that can reasonably be considered a weapon at school, on school property, or at a school-sponsored event. This shall include any weapon, any item being used as a weapon or destructive device, or any facsimile of a weapon.
Weapons and Destructive Devices
As used in this policy, the term "weapon" and/or "destructive device" shall include, but shall not be limited to:
- Any weapon which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
- The frame or receiver of any weapon described in the preceding example;
- Any firearm muffler or firearm silencer;
- Any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas bomb, grenade, rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces, missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than 1/4 ounce, mine, or similar device;
- Any weapon which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant and which has any barrel with a bore of more than 1/2 inch in diameter;
- Any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device described in the two immediately preceding examples and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled;
- Any bludgeon, sand club, metal knuckles, or throwing star;
- Any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife or any knife having a blade that opens, falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;
- Any electronic device designed to discharge immobilizing levels of electricity, commonly known as a stun gun.
Penalties for Weapon Violations
Possession of a weapon and/or descructive device listed under the "Weapons and Destructive Devices" heading of this policy shall result in expulsion from school for a period of one calendar year, except the Superintendent may recommend this expulsion be modified on a case-by-case basis.
Possession of, handling of, and/or transmitting a weapon of a type other than described under the "Weapons and Destructive Devices" heading above, an item being used as a weapon or destructive device, or a facsimile of a weapon may result in disciplinary action up to and including suspension and/or expulsion. Expulsion hearings for weapons violations shall be conducted by the Superintendent or the Superintendent's designee.
Students violating this policy shall be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency(ies) and, if a juvenile, to the Secretary for DCF or the Secretary of KDOC as appropriate.
Possession of an air gun at school, on school property, or at a school supervised activity will not be prohibited for students participating in an air gun-related activity sponsored by an organization held at school or when in transit to or from such activities held off district property.
KASB Recommendation-9/97; 6/99; 6/00; 6/01; 6/04; 4/07; 10/12; 1/13; 6/15; 6/16
©KASB. This material may be reproduced for use in the district It may not be reproduced, either in whole or in part, in any form whatsoever, to be given, sold or transmitted to any person or entity including but not limited to another school district, organization, company or corporation without written permission from KASR