JGCA Local Wellness Policy
Include goals for providing proper student nutrition at school, nutrition education, physical activity, and other school-based activities designed to promote student wellness in a manner that the board determines is appropriate;
- Include nutrition guidelines for all foods available in each school during the school day, with the objectives of the guidelines to be promoting student health and reducing childhood obesity;
- Ensure foods and beverages sold at breakfast and lunch meet the nutrition guidelines for the School Breakfast Program and National School Lunch Program;
- Provide students with access to a variety of affordable, nutritious, and appealing foods that meet the health and nutrition needs of students;
- Provide opportunities, support, and encouragement for students In grades K-12 to be physically active on a regular basis;
- Assure that guidelines for reimbursable school meals shall not be less restrictive than Federal and state statutes, regulations, and guidance issued by the Secretary of Agriculture, as they apply to schools;
- Involve parents, students, representatives of the school food authority, district physical education teachers, school health professionals, the school board, administrators, and the public in the development, implementation, and periodic review of the school wellness policy; and
- Establish a plan for measunng implementation of the local wellness policy, including designation of one or more district employees who shall be charged with operational responsibility for ensuring the wellness policy is effectively enforced, is periodically measured, and that assessments of the implementation of the local school wellness policy are available to the public. Such assessments shall measure the extent to which schools m the district are In compliance with this policy, shall compare the district's wellness policy with other model local school wellness policies, and shall describe the progress made in attaining the goals of this policy.
KASB Recommendation-6/05; 4/07; 6/14; 12/15
©KASB. This material may be reproduced for use in USD ###. It may not be reproduced, either in whole or in part, in any form whatsoever, to be given, soid or transmitted to any person or entity including but not limited to another school district, organization, company or corporation without written permission from KASB.