KG/KG-R Use of School Facilities by Non-School Groups KG/KG-R
The Shawnee Heights Unified School District No. 450 Board of Education may allow use of school buildings and school grounds to recognized community organizations whose activities are of general interest to the community and whose use of the school facility is for a community purpose. Use of any school facility or school grounds, however, shall not interfere with the daily school use or school sponsored activity. School activities shall have first priority for facility use. No group or organization shall be allowed to use school facilities for private profit-making purposes. School-related organizations, such as parent-teacher associations, shall have priority over non-school-related organizations. Non-school groups requesting use of facilities should consist of at least 25 percent of Shawnee Heights district patrons. The Board delegates to the superintendent and administrative staff, the authority and duty to consider and approve or disapprove requests for use of school facilities for non-school use according to this policy and applicable law. Shawnee Heights buildings will not be rented to utilized for weddings, funerals, non-school reunions, or other related activities. Any exceptions would require approval from the superintendent.
Adherence to Board Policies
As a condition of initial use of, and continued access to district property and facilities, groups and/or organizations must follow Kansas law and Board policy prohibiting the use of drugs, alcohol, and tobacco on district property and ensure individuals in attendance refrain from using such substances on district property as well. Failure to abide by this provision may result in a revocation of facility use privileges.
The Board shall establish reasonable fees for the use of any school facility or school grounds; fees will cover costs of wages of school personnel involved and utilities. The fee shall be approved by the Board and shall be reviewed annually.
The Board has authority to consider and approve or disapprove lease arrangements. Lease arrangements are considered for clubs and organizations who request the use of a building more than ten (10) times each year and who do not meet the 25 percent district patron use requirement.
Supervision of Non-School Groups
Whenever any school facility is used by non-school groups or individuals, a school employee shall be on duty to see that the building and equipment are properly used. Youth and children's groups using school facilities must be supervised by an adequate number of adult sponsors to assure proper care and use of school property. A custodian may not be required to be on duty when, in the principal's opinion, it is not necessary. If this is the case, the sponsors and the principal accept full responsibility for the building's use.
Insurance and/or Bonds
The Board, through its duly authorized agent, reserves the right to require bonds (cash or otherwise), insurance, or other damage deposits, acceptable to the Board before allowing usage of the schools' facilities. Users may be required to obtain and pay for $1,000,000.00 general liability insurance coverage, including personal injury and property damage, for all persons who use or attend certain activities in this facility under an agreement. Shawnee Heights USD 450 shall be named as an additional insured under this policy.
The district has the authority to terminate the facility use agreement for the violation of any provision in the agreement, or for unforeseen circumstances.
The buildings and grounds of Shawnee Heights USD 450 are available for use by tax-supported, non-profit, and community interest groups, not school related, at a nominal charge based on the cost of operation of the facilities to be used. The group using the facility should consist of at least 25 percent patrons of Shawnee Heights USD 450. Violations of this regulation will result in forfeiture of all remaining scheduled usage, all fees paid, and may prohibit any future scheduling of facilities by the party who signed the contract. All facility rentals are divided into three groups.
- Those of a recreational, civic, or educational nature:
a) All meetings conducted as a part of the official activities of the school
district (including PTO and Site Councils), will be allowed the use of
school buildings free of charge. All regularly scheduled meetings
conducted as part of the activities of scout groups, 4-H clubs, Shawnee
County Parks & Recreation Department, Camp Fire Boys & Girls, and
the YMCA Primetime, not sponsored by the district, will also be allowed
the use of the school buildings free of charge.
b) Users must provide reasonable assurance that the proceeds, when a fee
is charged, will be used for the promotion, improvement, or betterment
of the community.
2. Those of a religious nature:
a) The use of school facilities for non-school related religious groups will be
allowed on the same basis as other community groups mentioned in #1
above. However, religious groups requesting gym rentals must follow
the 25 percent district patron participation guidelines.
3. Those of a political nature:
a) No use of school facilities for political purposes will be allowed.
Exception: Facilities may be used for election polls and non-partisan
community information and election activities.
General Regulations for Facility Use
Under Kansas law, the Board of Education has authority to allow public school buildings to be used by recognized community organizations whose activities are of general interest to the community and whose use of the school facility is for a community purpose. Reasonable charges to cover custodial and utility costs may be levied.
- Failure to follow KG/KG-R; General Regulations for Facility Use, will result in the forfeiture of the right of further occupancy. No tolerance for infractions of the contract provisions or board policy will be allowed.
- All facility requests should be submitted to Shawnee Heights USD 450 via ML Schedules located at www.usd450.net/community/facility-rentals.
- All facility requests, excluding elementary gymnasium requests, must be approved by the Shawnee Heights Board of Education. The Board meets on the first and third Monday of every month, excluding holidays.
- Payment and all other required documentation must be submitted on or before 4:00 P.M. the business day prior to facility use. Once payment and documentation is submitted, final authorization will be granted on ML Schedules and the contract issued.
- Cancellation must be made one week prior to the date of reservation fo rthe district to reimburse any fees paid.
- The issued contract shall be presented to the building custodian at the time admittance to the building is requested. Custodians have been instructed to grant admittance only to groups with an approved contract.
- The district reserves the right to cancel reservations because of unforeseen circumstances. Rental fees will be refunded for such cancellations.
- At least 25 percent of the group should consist of patrons of Shawnee Heights USD 450. Violation of the regulation may result in forfeiture of all remaining scheduled usage, all fees paid, and may prohibit any future facility use by the party which signef the contract.
- The lessee may be required to obtain and pay for $1,000,000.00 of general liability coverage, including personal injury and property damage for all persons who use or attend activities in the facility under this agreement. The certificate of insurance should be submitted via ML Schedules.
- In emergency situations, changes of sponsorshop must be arranged with the building principal of the facility prior to 4:00 P.M. the day of the rental
- At least one of the three adult sponsors specified in the agreement and one building staff member must be present at the facility for the duration of the rental period.
- Student groups must be supervised by an adequate number of adults to assure proper facility care and use. Supervisors of groups are required to remain in the building until all parties have left or been picked up.
- All persons attending the activity shall confine themselves to the room(s) and corridors assigned for their use, not bring drinks into the gym, stay off the stange and equipment not requested for use during the activity, and depart the building at the prescribed time. Additional charges for extended time and use of property may be invoiced to the user when applicable.
- Tobacco, weapons (as defined by statute), prescribed controlled substances, and intoxicating liquors, including beer and wine, shall not be used in the building or on school property either by individuals, the group, other participants, or others in attendance.
- No school furniture or equipment will be moved from the building in which it is located.
- Kitchen use may be authorized by the building administrator or superintendent, when no suitable alternative is available.
- The building area(s) used by the renter MUST be cleaned and put back in order prior to the renter leaving at the end of each day's activities. An additional charge will be assessed for noncompliance.
- The individuals or groups making application for school facilities use shall agree to reimburse the district for any damage done to school facilities or property by persons of the participaing group. Any damages occurring during usage will be billed to the individual and/or organization renting the facility. Further, the renter shall hold harmless and reimburse the district for any and all expenses arising because of any claim which may hereafter be presented by anyone for loss and damages or personal injury as a result of the use of the school facility by the renter.
Elementary Gymnasium Supplemental Regulations
Patrons requesting and using the elementary school gymnasiums shall be subjected to general regulations for facility use and the following supplemental regulations:
- An annually established date fo rthe beginning of gym rental requests will be set each year by the Director of Business and Finance. This date will be published in the district newsletter.
- Elementary gymnasium requests do not require Board approval. Requests for the Middle School and High School gymnasiums will only be authorized with Board of Education approval.
- A patron will be limited to twenty (20) gym rentals per school year, with no more that two (2) rentals scheduled per week. Patrons may exceed twenty (20) rentals only by renting gyms which have not been scheduled by 4:00 P.M. two business days prior to the day of use. A patron may only apply for his/her own rental.
- Gymnasium rental for volleyball and basketball will be assigned as follows:
September - May (excluding holidays)
Tecumseh South & Tecumseh North - Tuesdays and Thursdays
September - May
All elementary buildings - Mondays and Wednesdays
c. Friday activitities will be scheduled at all buildings bsed on a first come,
first served basis for either volleyball or basketball. The gym activity
schedule may be adjusted by administration depending on need.
5. Gymnasiums will be availalbe for rental at the following evening time periods
only on days when a member of the custodial staff is available:
5:00 P.M. - 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. - 8:00 P.M. 8:00 P.M. - 9:30 P.M.
6. All 6:30 P.M. - 8:00 P.M. time periods are reserved for use by school groups. If
the gymnasium is not reserved two (2) weeks prior to any given date, the
gymnasium may be requested by non-school groups.
Approved: August 21, 1989
Revised & Approved: October 5, 1992
Revised & Approved: October 18, 1993
Revised & Approved: September 6, 1994
Revised & Approved: November 6, 1995
Revised & Approved: August 21, 2000
Revised & Approved: October 3, 2005
Revised & Approved: July 16, 2018
|District Patron||Non Patron|
|SHHS Auditorium||$200 per hour||$500 per hour|
|Sound & Lighting||$30 per hour||$35 per hour|
|Custodial||$30 per hour||$35 per hour|
|SHMS Auditorium||$50 per hour||$60 per hour|
|Elementary Auditoriums||$30 per hour||$35 per hour|
|Security||$30 per hour||$35 per hour|
|Administrator||$50 per hour||$60 per hour|
|Rental Fee||$20 each rental||$20 each rental|
|Shawnee Heights Optimist||Free of charge|
|TRACKS and FIELDS|
|SHHS Varsity & Track Field||Free of charge||$50 per hour|
|SHHS Sub-Varsity Field||Free of charge||$50 per hour|
|SHHS Practice Field||Free of charge||$50 per hour|
|ALL OTHER FACILITIES|
|(A custodial fee is required for all other inside facilities)|
|Custodial||$30 per hour||$35 per hour|
|Kitchen||$20 per hour||$25 per hour|
|Dining Room||$10 per hour||$15 per hour|
|Dining Room with outside food||$15 per hour||$20 per hour|