Employees of USD 450 can take up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave in a 12-month period for the following reasons:
- The birth of a child or placement of a child for adoption or foster care
- To bond with a child (leave must be taken within 1 year of the child’s birth or placement);
- To care for the employee’s spouse, child, or parent who has a qualifying serious health condition;
- For the employee’s own qualifying serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the employee’s job;
- For qualifying exigencies related to the foreign deployment of a military member who is the employee’s spouse, child, or parent.
- A service member’s spouse, child, parent, or next of kin may also take up to 26 weeks of FMLA leave in a single 12-month period to care for the service member with a serious injury or illness.
Employees must meet two criteria in order to be eligible for FMLA leave. The employee must:
- Have worked for USD 450 for at least 12 months;
- Have at least 1,250 hours of service in the 12 months before taking leave.
**Employees will be required to use any available sick, personal, and vacation leave that they have accrued. Once all leave is used employees will lose pay for the remaining days on FMLA leave.
For further information or to apply for Family Medical Leave please refer to the following documents: