Housing and Utilities

Calling any one of these agencies is a good starting place for families who may need financial assistance or support. Community Action, Doorstep, Let’s Help, Inc., Catholic Charities, and The Salvation Army all refer to one another. Rent and utility help can be provided through appointments with these agencies if the family meets the requirements. Other services such as gas, bus tickets, prescription, or dental help can be provided on a walk-in basis. These agencies recommend calling before visiting to confirm hours, availability of funding, and any necessary paperwork before visiting the agency in person.

Shawnee County

United Way 


Doorstep, Inc. 

(785) 357-5341

Let's Help, Inc.

(785) 233-9648

Salvation Army 

(785) 233-9648

Catholic Charities

(785) 233-6300

Community Action

(785) 235-9564

Douglas County

ECKAN Community Action Center

(785) 841-3357

Catholic Charities

(785) 856-2694

Heartland Community Health Center

(785) 841-7297

Ballard Center

(785) 842-0729

Salvation Army

(785) 843-4188

Osage County

Salvation Army 

(785) 528-5184

United Way 

(785) 273-4804

ECKAN Community Action Center

(785) 528-5184

Utility Assistance
38% of Franchise Fee Credit Funds Remain

The 2015 Franchise Fee Credit Program continues, although only 38% of the funds remain. The funds will be exhausted soon, it is well-advised for eligible qualifiers to sign up as quickly as possible

CRC administers the Franchise Fee Credit Program, a City of Topeka program that provides eligible households a standardized credit by a utility. Each approved household can qualify for up to $175 in credit for the calendar year 2015.

To qualify for the City of Topeka Franchise Fee Credit Program you must:

  • Be a city resident (homeowner or renter) with electric, gas, water/waste AND

  • Have a household income of less than $32,400; AND

  • Be born before January 1, 1959, OR be blind OR totally and permanently disabled OR have a dependent child living at home under the age of 18

Those who meet the requirements listed above can come to Avondale East NET Center, 455 SE Golf Park Blvd, Topeka KS 66605. We accept walk-in clients on Tuesday and Thursday from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm.

Have an appointment? Below are the documents you need to bring with you:

  • Kansas ID or Drivers License

  • Copy of each of the bills eligible for the program: electric, gas, water, wastewater (eligible bills must be in your name)

  • Proof of income - either a 2015 tax return or a social security award letter for all residents in the house

  • Documentation for dependents under 18 living in the house: birth certificate and social security card

If you would like more information, please contact Emma Starkey, Director of Communications and Education at 
785-233-1365 or email at estarkey@crcnet.org.